Happy Birthday to me!
I wanted to share with you all some of the many ‘life things’ I’ve learned over the past quarter century. It’s actually extremely hard to sit down and sum up what the universe has taught you. Not only that, but to narrow it down to only 25! *small stress breakdown*
Before we dive in, I just wanted to say how thankful I am to be able to see 25. I have the most amazing friends and family – and having you all is just the icing on the cake. (See what I did there?!)
In no particular order:
- This is your life. You get to craft who is in it and who’s on your crew. Make it amazing and get rid of the people that make you feel less than.
- Your intuition, especially for females, is a powerful fucking force. Trust it. It will alert you to a lot of shit that sometimes you don’t see until it’s too late.
- Nothing makes you feel better than freshly painted nails and clean sheets.
- Dogs are the most giving, loyal, and nurturing creatures and I’m not sure what I’ve done to deserve all the amazing animal interactions I’ve had in my life – but keep doing it, kid.
- You usually know if someone’s going to be a great friend. Hold onto those people – they are the people you’ll laugh with, cry with, and occasionally hate. True friends will be able to make it through any argument because they both want to remain friends.
- Take a lot of pictures. Ask the waiter or a stranger or whoever to take pictures of who you’re with. Get them developed. There’s a lot more memory in that than an artsy picture of your salad.
- You usually never regret saying “yes” to plans with friends. Maybe your wallet regrets it…But ya can’t be buried with your money.
- Yell “fire” instead of “help” if you’re in trouble. People usually respond more quickly if their own safety is in danger.
- Being well-informed about the goings-on of the world is sexy and awesome and everyone should do it. Even if it’s just the occasional Skimm article.
- You never have to settle – in any aspect of your life. Job, love life, anything. You have the ability to change your life at any point. Settling is comfortable, but is that what life is really for?
- No relationship is a waste of time. You’ve learned something after every single one – even if it takes a little bit to see the lesson within.
- If you lose the back of your earring, use a pencil eraser as a placeholder. Sometimes the bartender even has one for you, if you ask nicely.
- Music heals close to every emotional ailment if you know where to look.
- Posting on social media when you’re drunk/drunk texting is generally a bad idea. And by generally I mean always. UNLESS it allows you to say how you truly feel about someone.(Think: more like telling your crush you want to go on a date… and less like telling your boss he’s an ass.)
- Separating colors in the laundry is a myth. Just wash things on cold/cold setting and they’ll be fine. Use that separating time to do something else more productive.
- Speak up for what you want and what you believe in. Always.
- The ability to feel so much so often is not a curse, as much as it feels like it. You are a special kind of person that feels love for so many people. That is a gift. Embrace it and remain that way in the face of so much disappointment – because one day it will pay off.
- People don’t change unless they themselves want to. No amount of love or motivation or help will change them. Stop wasting your time trying to fix people and don’t be with people on the expectation that they will change.
- It’s never too late to learn something new. It might be a lot harder to learn new things after high school, but it can be done.
- Write letters. Even if it’s just to your friends to tell them how amazing they are, or to your mom to tell her how much she’s a role model to you – having a tangible message feels great and means a lot more than a text or an Insta tag.
- Get creative as often as you can – you are a unique human who is capable of unique things. Create so others can enjoy you!
- Empowering others is cool as shit – and you should do it as often as you can and as often as the opportunity presents itself. I’m talking to you drunk girl in the bathroom with the cute jacket..
- There’s no such thing as shitty timing with the right person or the right people.
- You looking for a sign is sign enough.
- Life is short. Tell your family/your friends/your romantic interest that you love them before it’s too late.
And, on that note, I leave to celebrate my 25th birthday. I’m truly so blessed – and that’s the only way I can describe it.
All my love,